March 8, 2017
Women in International Business Luncheon
The Economic Development Corporation of Kansas City was proud to be one of the sponsors for the Women in International Business Luncheon. The event was held at Webster House with featured guest and keynote speaker, Dr. Kara Tan Bhala, President, and Founder of Seven Pillars Institute for Global Finance and Ethics.
Seven Pillars is the world’s only independent think tank for research, education, and promotion of financial ethics. The event also presented the Women in Business Legacy 2017 Award to Karyn Page, chief executive officer and president of Wichita-based Kansas Global Trade Services.
March 1, 2017
MO DED STEP Presentation
The Economic Development Corporation of Kansas City Missouri partnered with the Missouri Department of Economic Development on March 1, 2017 to share information with local small businesses about how to succeed internationally through the State Trade and Export Promotion (STEP) Funding program. STEP is a funding program set up for Missouri-based companies to boost their exports to foreign markets. The event was attended by over 15 companies and organizations looking to utilize and promote this program. Representatives from the US Commercial Service and Small Business Administration were present as well.
February 28, 2017
KC Rising: Year Two Update
EDCKC Director of International Affairs, Narbeli Galindo, and Alvin Liow, EDC International Trade Assistant, were present at the Annual KC Rising Summary event highlighting the achievements and progress of the program. KC Rising is a long-term vision for the greater Kansas City region to build capacity, bring existing businesses to scale, and fully realize the KC region’s potential. KC Rising is regional in focus, but global in perspective targeting high growth in trade, people, and ideas.
During the event, Spiceman KC – An EDC International client was recognized as one of KC Rising’s success stories. Galindo and Liow also had the chance to meet with Dawn Taylor, AIA KC Executive Director, and other Architectural and Engineering representatives from the KC area.
February 28, 2017
Director General, Taipei Economic and Cultural Office
EDCKC Director of International Affairs, Narbeli Galindo, and City Councilman Scott Wagner welcomed Jerry Chang, Director General of the Taipei Economic and Cultural Office in Denver, to Kansas City. The main purpose of his visit was to continue to strengthen business relations between Taiwan and KCMO in order to facilitate more international business opportunities.
February 20-24, 2017
Smart City Summit & Expo – Taipei, Taiwan
The City of Kansas City, Missouri was represented by Kansas City’s Chief Innovation Officer, Bob Bennett, and EDCKC Director of International Affairs, Narbeli Galindo at the Smart Cities Summit and Expo, held in Taipei, Taiwan. Both Galindo and Bennett met with several Taiwanese Officials, such as the Taiwan President and Taipei Mayor, as well as other Mayors from around the world representing their countries (e.g. Spain and Guyana).
February 9, 2017
Doing Business in the UK
The Economic Development Council of Kansas City hosted several members from the Department of International Trade (DIT) – Chicago office and local KCMO global companies for a presentation on “Doing Business in the UK”. Individuals who attended the meeting with Tim Bakke, Vice Council of Financial, Professional and Business Services from the British Consulate-General Chicago, Department of International Trade, Photo from right to left:
- Leslie Fisher, Trade Specialist, State of MO., Dept. of Economic Development from Jefferson City, MO
- John Hensley, Trade Manager for the Americas, the State of MO., Dept. of Economic Development from Jefferson City, MO
- Tim Bakke Vice Consul, UK Trade & Investment, British Consulate – General Chicago
- Narbeli Galindo, EDCKC Director of International Affairs
- Chase Gilguor, M.ED Trade Specialist for Europe, Middle East and India, State of MO., Dept. of Economic Development from Jefferson City, MO
- W.G. ‘Walt” Lester, President of Spiceman Enterprise LLC.
- Christopher Weaver, Associate Account Manager, Global Client Services from Lockton Companies in KCMO
EDCKC Director of International Affairs, Narbeli Galindo, is currently in discussions with the Consulate to work on several events for 2017 to promote both Foreign Direct Investors from the UK to KCMO and to promote exports to the UK.
February 7, 2017
The Global City Teams Challenge SuperCluster Workshop
EDCKC Director of International Affairs, Narbeli Galindo, together with Mayor Sly James and 100 other officials from around the country, attended The Global City Teams Challenge SuperCluster Workshop on City Platform co-hosted by the City of KCMO, Think Big Partners, and NIST. The workshop gave participants the opportunity to come in with a list of problems and questions on City Platform and cross-cutting data management and leave with a concept of how to solve that list while building a smart city.
Mayor James introduced KCMO Smart City Open Access, a public facing window gaining access to smart city data being collected and generated by sensors along the KC Streetcar line. Other discussions during the workshop included data collection, smart city challenges, collaborating with corporate partners, and much more.
During the event, Narbeli Galindo met with four international companies from Spain, Israel, Portugal, and Italy, who are all interested in collaborating with KCMO in 3 ways:
- Partnering with the City
- Opening operations to enter the US market
- Applying for the LaunchKC program
Galindo graciously hosted and welcome the delegation to “Kansas City” by giving them a tour of Union Station and City Market, riding the KC Street Car, and treating them to Kansas City BBQ.
January 29-31, 2017
Saudi Arabian Eastern Province Mayoral Delegation
The City of Kansas City, Missouri was honored to host the Saudi Arabian Eastern Province Mayoral Delegation from January 29th to January 31st, 2017. Mayor Sly James and EDCKC Director of International Affairs, Narbeli Galindo, were present to welcome the delegation during their visit to Kansas City. The delegation consisted of:
- H.E. Engineer Fahad Bin Mohammed Al-Jubair [Head of Delegation] – Mayor Eastern Province, Dammam, KSA
- Engineer Essam Abdulateef Al Mulla, Director of Al Khobar Municipality
- Engineer Saleh Abdulaziz Almulhim, Chairman of Ras Tanura Municipality
- Engineer Mazen Adel Bakhurji, General Director of Urban Planning
- Dr. Mohammed Abdulaziz Alomani, General Manager of Waste Management Department
January 6-13, 2017
UMKC Study Abroad Program to Spain
EDCKC Director of International Affairs, Narbeli Galindo, also serves as a UMKC Bloch School of Business Professor. Galindo led a Study Abroad program with UMKC Business Students to Spain from January 6-13, 2017. During this program, students experienced how international business was conducted in Barcelona and Madrid. Students were given an opportunity to participate in meetings and interact with international EDC clients. They also observed and learned about business etiquette, presentation skills, and the importance of relationship building. Galindo and the students met with the following businesses:
– Barcelona Activa: An entrepreneurship center and business incubator
– Biocat Company: An entity in Catalonia that coordinates and promotes sectors in health and life sciences
– Parc Cientific de Barcelona: A scientific, research, and technology park in Barcelona
– IBM Client Center in Madri
– Colegio de Architectura: Galindo gave a presentation to the board of directors on potential collaborations
– Blosa de Espana (Stock Exchange of Madrid)
– QBOX: An interactive and innovative games/furniture concept company looking to enter the US through KCMO since 2015
– Lupicinio International Law Firm
Interested In International Business In Kansas City, Missouri?
If you are interested in learning more, please visit the International Business section of our website or view the latest news on our blog. For more information about international business in Kansas City, Missouri, please contact Narbeli Galindo, the EDC’s Director of International Affairs. firstname.lastname@example.org (816) 691-2139 or (800) 889-0636