LaunchKC‘s first 10 grant recipients were introduced before a full house at Techweek Kansas City this past September, which has many entrepreneurs asking, is there going to be another opportunity in 2016?
The answer to that question is a resounding YES! Not only will LaunchKC and Techweek be back in 2016, they have some incredible partners this year who want to help us make the grant competition more fun. Last year, 10 winners (six Kansas City area businesses and one international company) walked away with a total of $500,000 in grants from LaunchKC. This year, we hope to see 10 winners receive grant funding again through the LaunchKC grants program, run by the Downtown Council of Kansas City, Missouri, in collaboration with the Economic Development Corporation of Kansas City, Missouri.
We can’t disclose all the details just yet but here are a few things you should know:
– Competition applications will open April 1, 2016. It will be accessible through the LaunchKC.org website and there will be specific instructions on how to register and apply.
– The application period will close on July 6th at 11:59 pm.
– Initial Judging will begin July 10th and will run through August 19th. An announcement of the 20 companies who will compete in the finals will be announced on August 22nd.
– The final presentations/final judging and announcement of the 10 winners will take place on September 16th at Union Station during as a part of Techweek Kansas City.
– Techweek, the nation’s largest technology conference and festival, chose Kansas City to be its sixth U.S. hub in 2015 for its unique and immersive blend of tech learning, collaborating and networking. They are going to be back again this year at Union Station beginning the week of September 11th. All finalists will receive “Black Pass” access to the entire Techweek event.
– Travel and Hotel Accommodations will be provided for out of town finalists
– Selection committee members will be comprised of local business and civic leaders, lenders, venture capitalists and technology industry experts.
– Information about the prize pool and benefits of winning will be announced as it becomes available on LaunchKC’s social networks (Facebook and Twitter), on the EDC’s blog, and on the LaunchKC.org website.
“We are looking for the best and brightest to compete in the LaunchKC grants competition,” says Drew Solomon, Vice President of Business and Job Development for the EDC. “The purpose of this grant program is to provide a competition where Kansas City will be recognized as a viable player in the startup ecosystem. We want to make sure there are ongoing opportunities in our city, and that our community is willing to invest in our entrepreneurs.”
We are excited about all the opportunities for entrepreneurs in Kansas City and look forward to helping them grow through the LaunchKC program!