Earlier this month, during LaunchKC (an event EDCKC co-sponsors with the Downtown Council of KC to attract entrepreneurs from around the globe to grow their businesses here) 20 finalists – out of 586 applicants worldwide – pitched their companies and ideas to a group of judges.
Of the 20 finalists, nine grants were awarded, totaling $500,000. Five of the nine winners are Kansas City-area companies. The other four are originally based out of Atlanta, Chicago, Lawrence and St. Louis.
With business focuses ranging from health to real estate tech, the field was diverse and the competition tight.
In addition to the grants, this year’s 9 LaunchKC winners will receive a year of free office space in downtown KC along with mentoring and professional services. The winning companies are:
- AgVoice, Atlanta – $100,000 grant
- Venture360, Lee’s Summit – $50,000 grant
- Strayos, St. Louis – $50,000 grant
- PlaBook, Kansas City – $50,000 grant
- Just Play Sports Solutions, Lawrence – $50,000 grant
- Erkios Systems, Kansas City – $50,000 grant
- Digs, Chicago – $50,000 grant
- Bungii, Overland Park – $50,000 grant
- Boddle Learning, Kansas City – $50,000 grant
Drew Solomon, Senior Vice President of Business and Job Development for the EDC, said the goal is to keep growing the LaunchKC program to the point where it can award 20 grants (more than double the current number). Solomon commended all of the companies and said he hopes the program serves as an avenue to help them get noticed and connect to more opportunities.
To learn more, visit: https://www.launchkc.org/